We are often asked what POS hardware is necessary to use ThunderPOS. This depends a little on what you’re wanting to do, but only a few things are required.
If you need any assistance with your hardware from our support team, we only provide that help for hardware that was purchased from us. For any other hardware, you must go through the supplier of that hardware for support.
You will absolutely need a device to run the software on. This would be an iPad for the iPad version, or a Windows computer for the Windows version. Beyond this are optional hardware pieces, depending on your needs.
If you want to get your POS hardware from us, we have three hardware bundles available:
The Deluxe Hardware Bundle includes a a scanner, a cash drawer, a customer display, an inventory batch scanner, a label printer, and an Epson TM-m30III receipt printer.
Additionally, we also offer the Kiosk Bundle which takes the Point of Sale Hardware Bundle and upgrades the scanner to a Bluetooth wireless scanner and the TM-m30III to a TM-m30II-SL printer, which supports mounting a tablet to make your own kiosk if you’re planning on using a tablet.
You can also buy these additional hardware pieces individually from us. Below is a brief description of all of these.
Compact receipt printer with tablet mount and peripheral support.
- All-in-one design — compact POS printer with built-in tablet mount and secure locking capability; perfect for space-constrained areas (tablet not included)
- Modern industrial design — sleek 3″ thermal receipt printer; supports multiple configurations and mounting positions
- USB POS peripheral device support — accommodates up to four POS peripherals; convenient compartment for efficient cable management
- Single cable connection — convenient tablet charging and data communication
- USB-Network-Tethering — provides network connectivity from the printer to iOS® tablets
Sleek and compact, ideal for mPOS receipt printing
- Modern and compact design — sleek 3″ thermal receipt printer; small size; supports both front and top paper exits; standard near-end sensor
- Fast, stable network tethering — wired network communication with iOS® or Android™ mobile device via USB-C connection, at up to 20 Mbps
- Versatile connectivity — built-in interfaces; USB-A, USB-B, USB-C and Ethernet; optional dual Wi-Fi/Bluetooth interface available
- POS hub capability — connect up to two USB POS peripherals; Sync & Charge feature can deliver up to 18 W of power to a mobile device
- Ready for cloud printing and online ordering — Server Direct Print available to retrieve print jobs directly from the cloud
Barcode Scanner – This device allows you to scan barcodes, typically printed onto the product by the manufacturer or printed through a label printer. For the most part, we sell hand held scanners that can also be used with a stand.
Cash Drawer – The cash drawers sold by us hook into the receipt printer to be popped automatically at the end of transactions.
Label Printer – These printers allow you to make your own barcoded labels for items. Almost every store will want at least one of those, but unlike the basic hardware you won’t necessarily need one for every station. This can really depend on the needs of your store.
Inventory Batch Scanner – This device is primarily used for performing physical inventories. It also allows you to scan items without the point of sale being occupied, dropping entire shelves worth into the POS at a time.
Customer Display – You can use this to show the customer what is being done on the transaction. Customize the color scheme and set up logos for this through the system.
Credit Card Reader – If you’re using one of our integrated partners for credit card processing, you’ll need to get the appropriate hardware. Pricing may vary. If you’re interested in integrating your credit card processing with your point of sale, contact our partners at Global Payments to get going today!